Sunday, May 31, 2009

Birds


My wife tells me that a bird out back is making the prettiest tweeting but she isn't sure what kind it is. She imitates the sound while finishing dinner. At breakfast this morning I saw another unidentified bird swooping beautifully through a gap in the trees and then around to the side of our house. It looked like a medium-sized grey/white blur. We see this bird again during dinner and surmise it must be building a nest. After watering the garden I investigate, see its house and, briefly, the bird. While lying unsuccessfully in wait for an action wildlife picture I hear the squawk of our neighborhood parrots and take advantage of my camera to photograph this colorful pair. Back inside we discuss bird identification and, after Googling, decide tentatively that the tweeter and swooper are one and the same: a Bewick's Wren...Yesterday our local crow dived at a fellow walking past our house. I didn't mind as I'd never seen the guy before, he was scowling and had odd patches of bristly facial hair. The crow on the other hand is a neighborhood fixture, as are the parrots but only in fair weather.

No comments: