Sunday, November 3, 2013

Frog and Toad

One of the best series of books for beginning readers is Frog and Toad by Arnold Lobel. For one thing, it introduces a gentle, well-written irony to these 4-6 year-olds. Plus, the two characters model friendship and human nature in a very relatable manner.

A half dozen years ago, I put together Toad and Frog masks for Mr. R and I to wear on Halloween as we read to young students. Our school has since developed a core of emeritus teachers, of which I am proud to be a part, whose presence is stabilizing and helpful to the over-worked staff. The Toad and Frog duet was reprised this year, and my friend Toad was played by Mrs. J., our indefatigable and a little bit curmudgeonly retired first grade teacher.

Boy, did we have fun presenting a half dozen stories to three groups of about 60 each kindergarten through second graders. The best compliment I received was from a first grade boy who, after the performance, came up to me and earnestly lisped, "You sounded just like Frog!"

No comments: