Monday, December 30, 2013

Holey Moley

"Put on your oxygen mask first..."
It's like when you're about to take off in an airplane, the part where the stewardess gives you those counter-intuitive instructions about putting on your own oxygen mask before helping your gasping child. That's what this situation reminded me of. I was pleased with the analogy, and gratified for the guidance.

I was about to prepare a wine spritzer for my thirsty spouse, and I'd just gotten a beer for myself. I was faced with the dilemma of what I should do first, open the IPA, or uncork the Pinot Gri. That's when my questing mind remembered that aeronautical lesson so many of us simply let pass through one ear and out the other. But with enough repetition, the lesson sticks. The answer in this case was obvious: pop open the pale ale. "You can't help others when you are in need yourself" is the takeaway here.

It must be the free time afforded by retirement that lets me philosophize like this, and I'm grateful. The little wheel around which my mind turns these days seems circumscribed by only a few essential things: loving family, supporting friends, keeping healthy and happy, and dealing with those pesky moles.

One of four hills made by moles last night
Yesterday, I counted 21 mounds of newly turned mole earth in our lumpy courtyard lawn. Of course, that was accumulated over the span of six days, but still.

I imagine that this travesty weighs somewhat upon the souls of our apartments' other tenants, but my tolerance is demonstrably less than theirs. About once a week I take a flat-bottomed shovel and with a quick scoop I pick up most of the fresh dirt at each mound and toss it under the rhodies. A few flicks with a broom and all sign is gone of those weird little critters that I hope I never see, with their creepy pink fleshy snouts wiggling sensuously. Seriously yuck.

No offense, though, Moles. Really...

Which charitable afterthought leads fittingly to a deeper contemplation; I think it might be from The Bible*: "As above, so below." Hmmmm.


*Actually, my research tells me it's one of those Hermetic, Theosophic, Masonic kinds of things. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad for your better half's good test results and for keeping the moles under control. At first I thought you were referring to skin moles. I was imaging what you must have looked like. Gross!

Your blog is fantastic and you have a wonderful facility with words. Fascinating. Where did you acquire such a skill? In your prior bio postings you never spoke about your education or your life after the Army. What happened to spouse one? And are you originally from Seattle? What did you do before teaching? Surely you must have some impressive credentials for parents to entrust their children to your care.

Sorry for the intrusion. But that's why they call me Nosey Rosie!

Happy, Healthy New Year.

The Last Quarter said...

Thank you, Rosie, for your appreciation and interest. I've always enjoyed writing. My education is pretty pedestrian--high school in Oklahoma and college in Michigan, where I met spouse one who died in a crash. For many years I was a self-employed gardener and storyteller. You can check out my other two blogs linked on this page for more information, and I hope, entertainment.

Anonymous said...

Tom.... I am glad you have retained the mundane instructions given on every flight since Howard Hughes bought TWA. I used the same approach for many years while raising my son...I made sure that I had "protected him" by first sampling all ice cream, cake, sodas, then later steaks and booze. It must have worked because he has made it to age 30. P.S. I did not, however, use this method with him when it came to women..as I probably really would need the oxygen first! Pat