Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Merry Christmas Eve

I forgot the booze! So, just got back from a quick jaunt to what-used-to-be Petosa's Market with a fifth of Gentleman Jack. The checker and I joked about this almost-omission and wished each other Merry Christmas Eve.

Three jiggers down and my exponential spouse and I realize that someone here at our little apartment complex got left behind and that someone is us. Looking around the courtyard, this is what I realize:

Our creche with the usual suspects
The Little Family left three hours ago in Jesse's car; no sign of Jerry, but he could be bartending. (His sometime squeeze, Not-Hannah, was spotted earlier in the day walking across Petosa's parking lot wearing reindeer deelie-boopers and jingling boots.) Ralph's Subaru is gone. Where? We don't have a clue. Marion is at one of her daughter's houses where the whole clan gathers annually for an Italian Christmas Eve Fish Fest. Warren must have flown back east, so no noise of weights being lifted next door. Poor Crazy Carrie and her Prius could only be at her parents. Dwayne, best guess, is with one of his skanks (not charitable, but true), Sam with one of his many Catholic children.

This place is empty, but we are here together, having a feast tonight--ham, scalloped potatoes, spinach, pecan and cranberry salad, and then, after gingerbread and whipped cream, an early bedtime.

We will channel Christ's love into this evening, and into tomorrow, as always, when we will welcome the daughters for gift exchange and brunch.

Merry Christmas Eve to all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Thomas and to your family. Got my annual Jack Single Barrel Select gift from a great friend so I was not as deparate as you. Jack is still my booze of choice for the hard stuff. (I can still remember the bootlegger driving up to our house, wearing a trench coat, even in the Summer, back in Tulsa whenever my dad placed an order!)
Kay and I spent a calm Christmas Eve and then this morning we took her therapy dog, Misha, to the Hospice location to visit families and patients. Kay's husband died there two years ago on the 27th. My Peggy spent 6 days in August of 2012 there, and then returned to our home for another 2 months. Today went very well for both of us and I think the folks there got a kick out of Misha (she can read about 30 words). Take care.

The Last Quarter said...

Patrick-I'm glad for the Christmas Eve visit going well for you and Kay. Is Misha a doodle? That's a good story about the bootlegger. The trench coat is a great detail. Tom