Saturday, January 11, 2014

Go Hawks!

Rain last night and intermittently through the day. Los hombres del pueblo are using the time to work on their pangas at the playita--tuning motors, scraping hulls; we’ve stayed around the casa, reading, counting our money. Lounging.

Gloria's Sometime Sports Bar, right on the main drag,
the night before the big game.
The idea is that in about half an hour I’ll amble over to Gloria’s to watch professional championship football on a widescreen TV.  

Update: Gloria's hosted a dozen of us
from the Pacific Northwest cheering
our team to victory
My team has done really well this season; I’ve jumped headfirst onto the fan wagon, so I was disappointed to think I’d miss the playoffs while we were in Mexico. Back home I’m sure all the bars will be packed, everyone yelling excitedly. 

In this village, NFL has about nada cachet, so I was surprised last Sabado to see Gloria’s calling itself a sports bar and advertising viewing times for the big games. I checked in with them yesterday to confirm the 3:35 start...about ten minutes. I gotta run.

Postscript: During the game, broadcast in Spanish, a lot of the commercials advertised the soccer that everyone else calls football. I was struck by the contrast between its lithe, shorts-clad players and our armored, helmeted behemoths. And then I thought about Americano culture and how it compares with the rest of the world. Hmmm.


No comments: