Friday, January 17, 2014

Silverio's Gate

Silverio, at his gate (that's a shy turkey vulture in the background, over Silverio's right hombro)
In a complicated scheme to forestall insensitive development, some of the local gringos bought the leasehold on Siete Trucha--Number 7, Trout Way--a beachfront shack across the courtyard from Casa de Ana Rosa. Of course one of the first things you need to do with a new property is secure it, and for that they required a good gate. 

Siete Trucha, with Silverio on the job
Cafe Bahia is right next to Siete Trucha, also owned by Ana Rosa, and for at least a dozen years has been operated by a local celebrity chef, NYC-born, French-trained Susan, one of the environmental defenders mentioned above. All gates at the cafe were made years ago by local craftsman, now emeritus, Silverio. He was called in for the Siete Trucha job as well.

I spoke with Silverio this morning, telling him first, in gringo lingo, “El puerto es muy amable a mis hijos,” which I thought might poetically express, “The gate is very pleasant to my eyes,” but I substituted hijos--sons--for ojos--eyes. Oh well, I’m sure it could have been much worse and at least I communicated friendly intentions. There were a lot more, similarly mangled no doubt, expressions of appreciation I shared, as he kindly assented to a photograph.

No comments: